Monday, May 27, 2013

LAVENDER SUGAR




My sister Mary has been in town for this holiday weekend.  It has been a delicious visit.  Her past two trips home she has brought along an entourage of college chums.  This visit her friend Elaina (fondly known as Lai Lai,) accompanied her.  I love Lai Lai.  She has laughing brown eyes and it turns out she's a great volleyball player!  

The girls spent Saturday morning with me in Midtown.  We brunched and crafted and shopped.  While together we found a tea party treasure!  Lavender sugar!  It is perfect to sprinkle into fresh squeezed lemonade, hot or cold tea, custard or homemade ice cream.  But when I bought the sugar, I had cookies on my mind, so we have since gobbled up an entire batch of Lavender Shortbread Cookies!  Didn't I say it had been a delicious visit?  Here is the recipe in case you are enticed by these crumbly pictures:

Shortbread Cookies

8 ounces butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (OR lavender sugar)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients; use hands to knead until ingredients are blended.  Press into ungreased pans (or chill and roll out to about 1/2-inch on a floured board and cut into shapes.
Bake at 325° for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment